Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pray like your using a Magnifying Glass.



Matthew 10:1

10 Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.


My Friends,

    I apologize for the delay of the blog over the last week, but I was in San Diego building a fence for my Mother and Father.  The fence was to give their dog a place to play and help with his wanderlust.  I had a great time working with my brother Mark, Cecelia and my parents.  It took about four days to complete and then I spent the other two days going on dates with my daughters.
   On my date with Taylor, she taught me a lot about up cycling.  We spent awhile shopping in thrift stores for dresses that she could redesign.  Once redesigned she will then sell them on her new website.  You will get an email about it, when it is complete.  It will be called TayOety's Designs.  I then took her to lunch and yogurt.  One special detour we took was to our friend Kent Bry's Adventure Ski School.  When we arrived, we were just going to say hello, but he had a break in ski lessons and tossed Taylor on his ski ramp.  He worked with her for about 45 minutes.  It was a special surprise.  I even jumped on the ramp for a short time.  I could tell that my ski muscles have gotten weaker from not skiing for the last three years because when I say short time, I mean I could only stay on for about 20 minutes.  When I used to teach there years ago, I would stay on for hour after hour teaching lessons.
   The next day I spent a very nice afternoon playing golf with Claire and my Dad.  Dad played nine holes and then Claire and I finished the last holes in a heated competition.  We settled our match with lunch and coffee.  I really enjoy spending time with my daughters.
   Anyway, I do have a point to the blog this week.  Before arriving in the San Diego area, we stopped by to see my brother Michael's son Everest play water polo.  After the match, in which Everest was the star, we went to dinner.
    While at dinner, I had a great conversation with Michael's wife Cindy.  We were discussing my blog and I was telling them about a rough idea I had for the next installment.  I was talking with her about how I have been reading a book called, The Master Key System.  In the latest chapter, the author, Charles Haanel discusses the idea of praying intensely and with unwavering belief.  The book also discusses that their are times when people just think about something and it just happens.  Now bare with me a moment, I am not talking about being psychic or anything.  But it did raise a question.  Is it possible that what we think, is like a prayer?  What if I think about something with unwavering confidence and then it happens?  This would be kind of like the Mustard seed I wrote about awhile back.  The following is a simple example of what I am talking about.
   Cindy and Michael were telling me about this friend that they have that always says that he is going to park in one of the front spots at stores that he visits.  They have been with this friend a number of times and sure enough when he pulls up, there is a space waiting for him.  It has happened so often that they have become real believers when they are with him.  Now, you might think that he just waits for a spot like those irritating people that just sit there with their blinker on, but he doesn't ever wait.  Rather than being skeptics, can't we just believe that he has unwavering belief?
  My mother has told us about a lady that she knows that prays over people while they are in the hospital or sick and they are healed.  She is so successful, that people request to have her pray over them.  She has doubters as well.
   These two examples are totally different and we would consider one more serious than the other, but are they all that different in their intensity to thought and prayer.  Most people would think that the second is far more important, but have you ever tried to get a front parking place at Target during the holidays?  It is a small miracle in itself to just get a parking place at all somedays.  I digress, so let me get back on task.
Intensity!!!
    The final analogy that I am going to share with you from my book is the following.  Imagine you are using a magnifying glass on a sunny day.  You can move it all around and look at things in a larger way, but the true power of a magnifying glass is when we hold it still and allow the intensity of the sun to shine through it.  If you are not careful you will focus the suns energy so much that it will burn whatever you are focusing on at the time.
   The point I am trying to make is that as Christians, we need to practice thinking and praying like we are using a magnifying glass.  Pick a few things in your life that you want changed and focus positive and detailed prayers toward them.  Think about them in a positive way.
   So to bring this meandering topic back to full circle.  I learned from my father years ago, how important it is to spend time with each of your children individually.  When we focus our magnifying glass on them, they are warmed by our parental sun.  I find that each time I do this, special memories are created.
   So, practice praying and thinking with intensity.  If you think about it, it is very much like the way Jesus sent the Apostles out to do miracles.  You can do miracles, remember they don't all have to be about healing diseases or making the blind see.  Isn't the laughter and smile of your kids a miracle unto themselves.
    By the way, I have the same skill Michael and Cindy's friend has.  I don't know what it is, but I find a parking spot as far away from the store every time.  More people need to think like me, because there are lots of spaces where I go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment